Trams have been operating in Blackpool since 1885 and through to Cleveleys and Fleetwood since 1898. The trams carry millions of passengers every year and form a key local tourist attraction. The Tramway, which is owned by Blackpool Council, runs from the town along the Fylde Coast into Lancashire, serving Cleveleys and Fleetwood.
£100m was invested in upgrading the tramway to achieve quicker journey times and to ensure the service continues to operate for future generations.
Included in the upgrade were new easy access tram stops. Glass reinforced concrete floor panels manufactured by GRC UK Ltd were laid across the tracks to allow pedestrians to access either platform easily.
The floor panels were high quality, non-slip surfaces and the client requested that the panels should be protected to ensure a long life-span.