This First World War memorial, unveiled in 1921, commemorates the officers and men of the Newbiggin Colliery. It is a chapter is the history of Newbiggin which can be traced back to 875. The town got its name following the Danish invasion of 875, then renamed Neubegang or Newbegining. The memorial is typical of thousands found in towns and villages throughout Europe.
The stone seats around the monument were damp and uninviting, being stained and infested by thick mosses and the whole site was dark and rundown.
Epicuro Algae Remover treatment was chosen for moss eradication because, while it is slow acting, it remains effective for a long time (typically 4-5 years). Other such treatments are only effective for one season. Epicuro pavement cleaners were used on the concrete and block paved areas around the monument and, following all cleaning work, the monument stone was protected with Epicuro HBG and pavement areas with Epicuro HBG-HD. Epicuro Anti-Slip surfacing was installed on the pavement surrounding the monument.